Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

To fermentation and beyond...the harsh realities of the kitchen

Today was not a good day for me in the culinary arts. Not a good day at all. I guess it started a week ago Sunday when I made the dough. And then I let it chill overnight. And overnight. And overnight again 7 times over. I got busy. I figured chilled is chilled right? Wrong. While it was chilling it was also fermenting. When I took the plastic wrap off the dough it was clear that something was a little off. The whole thing reaked of alcohol. I googled and called Little Chef to no available (don't worry LC, this is all just to add to the drama of the post!). Apparently no one is stupid enough to do this because I did not find any information about over fermenting your dough that quite matched what I had done. Note to others, do not google "my dough smells bad" unless you want a whole slew of moderately x-rated options. And it doesn't seem to be rising in the cute fluted cups. Sadly, I think it headed for trash can. The dough itself tasted awful and no amount of baking will fix it. In addition, the pasta I made was mushy and not particularly memorable. I hate throwing away time and resources, but I hate wasting calories and eating things that are only so so just because. Better luck tomorrow with my lentils and ciabatta.

No comments:

Post a Comment