Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls

Okay, I have no picture because we ate the rolls too fast.

This was my second time around with the rolls (I cheated and made them for Christmas morning, before the Merry Bakers began) and they were super delicious. Reinhardt is right: these buns are the only homemade cinnamon rolls I've ever had or made that approximate the gooey sugar bombs you can buy at Cinnabon. But they're so much better--yeastier, more velvety, with a subtle citrus flavor--and eating one isn't a precursor to coronary arrest. If you drizzle them with a generous amount of the fondant and eat them warm with the last dregs of your coffee: heaven.

My only warning is that I don't think making smaller rolls (12-14, rather than 8-10) is the best choice in terms of roll shape. The first time around I made big mama rolls and they were so gorgeous, sweet golden high-rises that had to be shared. This time I made them as an accompaniment to Mother's Day brunch, and figured that personal rolls would provide a snappier meal finish. The fact that each person got his own roll was a hit (especially with my 10-year old brother) but I didn't care for the flatter, square shape of the buns. I probably just needed to cut the rolls a bit thicker, but next time I'm sticking to the big guns.

No comments:

Post a Comment