Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

NY-made Bagels and Mission for Malt.



Our struggle began in our effort to find malt. I tried Zabars, Westside Market, Citarella's, Fairway, Gourmet Garage, Food Emporium, Whole Foods. No malt. I even emailed Steven Shaw, founder of egullet and one of my favorite food writers. He emailed me back 6 times with suggestions...The ultimate choice that worked...I went in to my old bagel shop (who asks to remain nameless!) and begged for malt. They were very kind and offered me some...If I promised to bring them one of the bagels. I said yes, as long as they promised to eat one. They declined!
We made them, I even helped. DELICIOUS. Tasted like real bagels. Unbelievable when they first came out, so light and doughy-fluffy. We loved them. The only battle in the kitchen was one I opted for the less traditional style of bagel forming and Jonathan insisted on the traditional style of making a long stick and then forming a circle. (I just made a ball, then poked a finger in the middle to form a hole). In the end it tastes the same.

Awesome creation!

2 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! I can't wait to start my bagels this afternoon. (Though I'm opting for the honey substitute. This being Portland, there are no bagel shops near our house!)-Rhi

    ReplyDelete